lunes, 24 de marzo de 2014

cmus, text based player

I guess I used rhythmbox as my default player since last 5 years, even if I'm using Debian or Ubuntu, I faced a problem some months ago, I started to develop android apps using Eclipse with ADT plugin, this software requires a lot of RAM, then I tried to use the built-in emulator to test my progress -I hate that emulator- so my available RAM start to decrease and in general the performance of my laptop, don't get confuse, daily I was working with these windows opened:

1. Eclipse+ADT
2.Firefox or Chromium
3. two or three tabs in gnome-terminal
4. libreoffice - sometimes-
5. Nautilus
6. and rhythmbox

now you understand why the performance started to decrease... but I realize that rhythmbox demands like 10% of my CPU and around 5% of RAM, for a player I guess is a lot!, so I decided to start using cmus, it is a text based player, it runs smoother and it is easier to install it, if you want to install it on Ubuntu and have the basics commands, you may read this: http://www.tecmint.com/install-cmus-music-player-in-linux/ and if you want a detailed list of the commands you may read this:  https://github.com/cmus/cmus/blob/master/Doc/cmus.txt.

As a fact, I benchmarked cmus vrs rhythmbox using top command, the results were:

rhythmbox: 9.5% (CPU) and 4.3% (MEM)
cmus: 2.3% (CPU) and 0.5% (MEM)

cool, isn't it?

I'm not saying who is better, in some cases it is necessary to make some room for all the application you need to run, so at least try it. By the way, if you decided to export your playlist from rhythmbox, you will need to do some work in order to adjust it to cmus, just follow this post from me: http://htamayo.blogspot.com/2014/03/customizing-any-text-file-with-sed.html, it could be useful.

PS: it would be cool to create a friendly console based user interface to cmus, in order to use the multimedia buttons functions from your keyboard, if such thing does not exist, I promise to code it, Iĺl let you know.

Cheers

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario