domingo, 17 de noviembre de 2013

Kali Linux from SD Card on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Yes, this is my first post from kali linux for ARM chromebooks, well I have to say this was a little tricky, in fact the process was not so hard; as a Linux fan every time I got a new computer I wipe out the OS pre-installed and then I install a Linux flavor.

I got my chromebook one year ago, I think I tried chromeOS  2 times and then I installed chrubuntu and everything was cool. Last weeks ago I updated my technical goals and I decided to install kali on my chromebook, so the successful steps are:

From Chrubuntu:
1. download kali linux for arm architecture.
2. get a 8 GB SD Card, I used a 16 GB, and I realized the all image sized 8.6 gb, so 16 GB would be a better idea.
3. uncompress the image
4. from a terminal type: dd if=kali-chromebook.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512k
 5. when it finished install using apt-get the cgpt package. I found it on the repositories of quantal quetzal I think, I'm not so sure, anyway, search it and install it
6. cgpt repair /dev/sdb
cgpt add -i 1 -S 1 -T 5 -P 10 -l KERN-A /dev/sdb
cgpt add -i 2 -S 1 -T 5 -P 5 -l KERN-B /dev/sdb

cool, then reboot your chromebook and when the "developer mode warning" screen appears just hit SPACE. ChromeOS will be restart it and you will boot on it. Don't worry your chrubuntu is still installed.

from ChromeOS, before login, hit Ctrl+Alt+Forward keys and:
1. type chronos to log in the terminal
2. load your SD Card on the chrome
3. type this: sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
4. sudo reboot

finally, when you get the developer mode warning, just hit Ctrl+U and that's it, you will be into one of the best Linux Distro... kali!!!!

PS:
my next step is install kali on my SSD, I want to keep ChromeOS because when I want to just browse the web, it's really fast and really cool, one year later we have more extra on this OS, so it would be a good idea, the sad part is I have to get rid off chrubuntu, but it's ok, kali is a great option

Cheers!




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario